🕒 3 minute read
There is no doubt that one of the most impressive historical sites of Yazd is, Water Museum that represents ancient culture and architecture of Iranians who lived in central desert.
Creation of the first Qanat brought the initiation of an ancient civilization across the extensive province of Yazd. This outstanding hydraulic technology that originated through our ancestors ” highly innovative thoughts is of some 3000 years of antiquity.
the great diligence our elders showed to combat the harsh conditions of dwelling in deserts is appreciative enough to be conveyed through the present and coming generations.
There are more than 3200 Qanats lied down in all over the country that most of them are in Yazd province including the longest one in the world. Yazd is focal point of this ancient technology in the country.
The water museum of Yazd was established in order to display the technical, engineering, cultural and historical features of the referred system coincident with the international symposium on Qanats held in Yazd in May 2000. Now all those interested in learning ancient hydraulic structures can visit the place to familiarize with this amazing subterranean system of water conveyance.
The water museum, the Qanat college in the city of Taft and the international center on Qanats and historic hydraulic structures which are all established in yazd together form an invaluable complex.
Yazd water Museum:
This mansion with an area of 720 square meters was constructed by Mr. kolahdooz who was the merchant of Yazd approximately 120 years ago.
The regional water organization of Yazd purchased the house to founded the museum. The ancient building comprises the following 5 divisions.
- Two Qanats named Rahim Abaad and Zarch which where once running under this construction and just the second one is now active.
2. Payab (a passage cut in the ground to have access to Qanat water) which at the depth of 10 meters in the basement.
4. Rooms and the courtyard
The roof of the building consists a well with a Persian wheel, reservoir and a small pool to supply the consuming water for the household as well as its conveyance to the fountains in courtyard and filling the pool.
An Introduction To The Collection:
1. various kinds of axes, illumination in Qanats, Persian wheels, Buckets, clothing and special cotton caps for the practitioners of Qanats.
2. Water reservoir faucets, Utensils for carrying and preservation of water besides rubber bags the water carriers used.
3. Instruments for gauge Qanat water, water distribution devices and the first water clock of the world.
4. Qanat gallery leveling equipment
5. Mackets displaying the Qanat conveyance process as well as historical and water based places like mosques, reservoirs, ice houses, public bath houses, water mill, farms and orchards.
6. Documents concerning endowment of Qanat water right benevolently.
As travel consultants we would highly recommend visiting this museum in either of our city tour of Yazd or walking tour in order to get acquainted with local culture and history.